180 Degrees Consulting was founded at The University of Sydney (USYD) in 2007. Our team of 96 innovative, passionate and socially-minded student consultants help 16 non-for-profits expound their social impact each semester. We connect the untapped capabilities of university students with unmet needs of socially conscious organisations, who then work in teams to spend the semester researching and preparing innovative, practical, sustainable and quality recommendations to overcome challenges our clients face and make a tangible impact.
Be part of an international network of talented students, who are driven by a passion to create positive change. Our consultants represent over seven degrees and are selected for their academic excellence, extra-curricular involvement, leadership, teamwork skills and genuine passion for our work. We welcome students of all degree backgrounds and years to join 180 Degrees Consulting at USYD. Past consultants have studied mathematics, commerce, science, law, sustainability, economics, arts, engineering and medicine, and have come from undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. If you:
- Are passionate about creating real social impact
- Have a knack for solving problems creatively using critical analysis
- Are itching to find a way to use skills learned at university in a practical way
- Have effective communication, teamwork and leadership skills
- Are wishing to pursue a career in NFPs or management consulting
Then, you are who we are looking for. A project at USYD looks something like this:
- Weekly team meetings – you will be in a team consisting of 5 consultants, lead by 1 team leader and overseen by a consulting director. Each week, you will meet once to discuss project direction and work on the project with your team.
- Project work – you will have deliverables set out in your project brief, which are due throughout the semester.
- Client meetings – you will meet with your client throughout the semester and update them on project progress.
- Mentor meetings – you will meet with your industry mentor for project guidance. We have industry mentors from Boston Consulting Group (BCG), Oliver Wyman (OW), AlphaBeta and Nous. In 2018, we also introduced an internal mentoring program, which pairs executive members with consultants to foster a stronger 180 community at USYD.
- Tailored training – you will receive hours of training led by industry leaders and experienced executive members in the form workshops and an induction training.
We also have socials, regional events, such as the Social Impact Case Competition (hosted by an industry partner), and internal events, such as the Hackathon introduced in 2018. To keep updated with our events and open and closing dates for applications, please sign up to our mailing list here, or follow us on social media: Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn to keep up with all our posts and updates.
Apply to become a CONSULTANT at The University of Sydney Branch:
Applications for a Semester 2, 2021 Team Leader (TL) position are now OPEN. Click here to apply for TL. (This position is only open to previous 180 Degrees consultants).
Note: No late applications will be accepted!
We provide high-quality consulting services with the sole aim of helping you achieve your mission and overcome organisational challenges. We have experience working with social enterprises, healthcare providers, medical research centres, environment activist groups, women’s rights centres and non-for-profit community groups – the list is endless. We can help your organisation tackle issues of the following kind:
- Financial sustainability
- Marketing – including strategy, digital marketing, branding and social media
- Social impact measurement
- Increasing community involvement
The list of projects we are able to assist with is endless too – get in touch with us today at [email protected] for more information.
Enter your details at this link to be kept up to date about our events, opportunities from our industry partners and more. For any campus recruitment enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact [email protected] or message us on Facebook!
The University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
University of Sydney (USYD)